How it Works
The ACCUPLACER® program continues to evolve in order to most effectively meet the needs of secondary and higher education professionals across the country. ACCUPLACER’s new vision helps all educational institutions to address the growing challenge of remediation in the United States with a series of tools, including:
- the ability to input GPA and other variables and allow for placement using test scores as one of multiple factors;
- a multiple weight measuring tool that allows institutions to apply values on a student’s background and experience;
- customized and modularized placement tests providing both diagnostic and placement scores that can align with local, state and national standards; and
- preparatory tools for students including sample questions and practice tests for purchase.
ACCUPLACER continues to show promise based on preliminary data from institutional pilot programs across the country.
If you are interested in ACCUPLACER and need to create an ACCUPLACER account, complete a new institution registration form at www.accuplacer.org.
ACCUPLACER’s core exams offer institutions customized interventions in Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra and College-Level Mathematics. Learn more about ACCUPLACER (pdf/12.41M)
ACCUPLACER//MyFoundationsLab is a comprehensive online diagnostic and intervention system that assesses and builds students’ academic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. Institutions can customize the tool as part of their curriculum while preparing students for college and success.
ACCUPLACER//MyFoundationsLab addresses the growing challenges with remediation by combining computer-adaptive assessment; proven, targeted intervention; and customized learning resources to ensure student success. Based on their initial ACCUPLACER diagnostic scores, students are given a personalized learning path through MyFoundationsLab to improve their skills and master core concepts.
A pilot study at Cerritos College in Norwalk, California showed that a majority of students who used the tool demonstrated improvement:
- 54 percent of the students saw an increase in their reading comprehension placement scores.
- 62 percent of the students increased their sentence skills placement scores.
- 46 percent of the students improved their math course placement level by one or more courses.
Find out how ACCUPLACER//MyFoundationsLab has benefited institutions and students.
ACCUPLACER Diagnostics provide a detailed analysis of a student’s strengths and weaknesses to enhance college preparedness and academic performance. Untimed and available in four subjects, this suite of assessments is designed for use at both high schools and postsecondary institutions. ACCUPLACER Diagnostics assessments enable institutions to:
- Assess student preparedness in Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra. Detailed diagnostic assessments show more about students’ academic strengths and weaknesses while the students are still in high school, transitioning to college or already attending college.
- Apply academic interventions with greater precision. Diagnostic information empowers you to address student remediation issues and develop tutoring and mentoring strategies early. Diagnostic assessments are particularly helpful for students preparing to take or retake an ACCUPLACER placement test. The results help students identify which areas to focus on for improvement.
Learn more about ACCUPLACER Diagnostics (pdf/887.6K).
WritePlacer® is a direct measure of a student’s writing skills. The student's response is scored electronically using an automated system and scores are returned within seconds. Institutions can also use WritePlacer to assess English as a Second Language (ESL) writing skills. Learn more about ACCUPLACER WritePlacer (pdf/7.18M).
ACCUPLACER ESL helps place students of limited English proficiency in appropriate language courses. Developed as an assessment tool for ESL students and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) students, it consists of five components: Sentence Meaning, Language Use, Reading Skills, Listening and WritePlacer ESL. Learn more about ACCUPLACER ESL (pdf/7.08M).
Computer Skills Placement Assessment
ACCUPLACER CSP assesses student competency in basic computer skills. CSP allows schools to place students in the correct computer skills courses or wave the computer skills requirement. CSP is available in a 70-question standard version or a 30-question basic version. Learn more about ACCUPLACER CSP (pdf/1.21M).
The ACCUPLACER local test feature gives institutions the option to create their own multiple-choice and multiple-response linear assessments. Local tests can help you reduce paper-and-pencil assessment costs, lessen your institution carbon footprint and reduce administrative staff support dollars. In addition, institutions are provided with instant scoring. Scores from assessments are available for 4-years. If you are interested in the Local Tests ACCUPLACER feature and have an ACCUPLACER account, please view page 59 of the ACCUPLACER Program Manual found on the ACCUPLACER platform site.